DNR events have been cancelled due to the Covid-19 outbreak. Safety of our users, attendees, partners and staff is most important. When possible, events will be rescheduled and that information will be distributed accordingly. Please check this site frequently for the latest closures, postponements and updates.
Sovereign Lands Construction Permits

This permit program is governed by 571 Iowa Administrative Code chapter 13 which was revised effective April 15, 2009.

These rules are applicable to all fee title lands and waters, dedicated lands and waters under the jurisdiction of the commission and managed by the commission for public access to a meandered sovereign lake or meandered sovereign river; meandered sovereign lakes; meandered sovereign rivers; and sovereign islands; except those portions of the Iowa River and the Mississippi River where title has been conveyed to charter cities.

Any construction on, above, or under state-owned lands and/or waters
must secure a sovereign lands construction permit from the Department in advance of work.

State-owned lands and waters under the jurisdiction of the commission include:
Meandered Sovereign Lakes, Meandered Sovereign Rivers, State Forests, Wildlife Management Areas, State Parks, and State Preserves.

How to apply:

Complete the Joint Application Form:

If emailing to Iowa DNR, submit copy to JointApplication@dnr.iowa.gov.

Mail one copy of the Joint Application Form to each of these three addresses:
     Iowa Department of Natural Resources
     Sovereign Lands Construction Permit Program 
     502 E 9th St.
     Des Moines, IA 50319

     Iowa Department of Natural Resources
     Flood Plain Management Program
     502 E 9th St.
     Des Moines, IA 50319

     US Army Corps of Engineers, Rock Island District
     Clock Tower Building
     PO Box 2004
     Rock Island, IL 61204-2004

Additional resources:

For more information:
Program Coordinator, 515-725-8464