Official State of Iowa Website Here is how you know

Special Waste Authorization (SWA)

The intent of a special waste authorization from the department, is to assist in providing safe and proper management for disposal of wastes which present a threat to human health or the environment or a waste with inherent properties which make the disposal of the waste in a sanitary landfill difficult to manage. A waste may be a special waste because of its quantity, concentration, or physical, chemical, or biological characteristics which may also require special handling, trained people, and/or special disposal methods.

State Laws and rules for Special Waste Authorizations

Application and Reporting Documents

DNR Contact
Susan Johnson

Assistance for Businesses

The Iowa Waste Reduction Center (IWRC) and Pollution Prevention Services provide confidential non-regulatory environmental technical assistance to Iowa businesses and industry, institutions and government agencies at no cost.  The IWRC works with companies of up to 200 employees and Pollution Prevention Services works with companies of 100 employees or more.

Contact information for IWRC: 800-422-3109
Contact information for Pollution Prevention Services: 515-322-9928

The Iowa Waste Exchange is designed to keep waste out of the landfills and in production. Many industry, business and even local governments dispose of items others can use. Representatives are available to help anyone who is looking for a specific item or has items they are willing to give away.

Contact information for IWE: 515-240-6048 

Where to find Hazardous Waste Regulations

Statutory Authority: Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and the Hazardous and solid waste amendments (HSWA). RCRA regulations are found as a subset of subchapter I, “Solid Wastes,” 40 CFR 239-299. 

Regulations: Iowa has not received authorization from US EPA to operate its hazardous waste program in lieu of the federal program.  EPA’s hazardous waste program is enforced by EPA’s Region VII office which is located in Kansas City, KS.  To contact EPA’s Region VII office regarding Iowa hazardous waste issues, call 913-551-7633.