The Solid Waste Alternatives Program (SWAP) works to reduce the amount of solid waste generated and landfilled in Iowa. Through a competitive process, financial assistance is available for a variety of projects, including source reduction, recycling and education.
The program provides financial assistance in
the form of forgivable loans, zero interest loans, and 3 percent interest
loans. A 25% minimum cash match is required for each budget line item
requesting funding assistance. Projects are selected through a competitive
process. Emphasis for selected projects is placed on tonnage avoided or
reduced, sustainability and ability to replicate.
Any unit of local government, public or private group or individual is eligible to apply for program funds.
Funds can be used for such items as:
- Waste reduction equipment and installation
- Recycling, collection, processing, or hauling equipment (including installation)
- Development, printing and distribution of educational materials
- Planning and implementation of educational forums, workshops, etc.
- Purchase and installation of recycled content products
- Salaries directly related to implementation and operation of the project