Official State of Iowa Website Here is how you know

Hunter Education: Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Does my child need hunter education to purchase a deer or turkey license?
A: No, as long as your child is an Iowa resident under 16 years old and hunting with a licensed adult they do not need hunter education.

Q: How do I find a class?
A: You can find classes online at On the webpage you can search for a course in a district near you.

Q: Are there more classes handled than appear on the website? If so, how do I find them?
A: Yes, you can find out about other classes by contacting the chief hunter education instructor for the county in which you are wishing to attend a class. The chief should have an idea of all of the classes going on within the county. You my also contact the local conservation officer for the county you are interested in.

Q: Why aren't there more classes?
A: Hunter education is taught by volunteers. It takes a lot of time and effort by these volunteers to put together classes that will provide the students with all of the knowledge they will need to be a safe and successful hunter.

Q: How can I get a class set up in my area?
A: Contact your chief instructor and work with him/her to contact other instructors that would be willing to help put on a class. You will also want to make sure there are more interested students in the area. You may also contact your local conservation officer or recreation safety officer.

Q: Do I have to take the class in the county that I live in?
A: No, you may attend a class in any county.

Q: Is there a set time for classes in each county?
A: Some counties have classes the same time every year, but it does vary from county to county. The best way to find out that information is to check the website or contact the chief instructor.

Q: What is the cost?
A: The cost is free. There may be a cost associated with some of the internet courses.

Q: Do I need hunter education if I already took bow hunter education?
A: Yes, if you meet the criteria for needing to take hunter education then you must take it. Hunter education deals with firearms while bow hunter education focuses specifically on bow hunting.

Q: Are there substitutions for hunter education such as military training, law enforcement training, etc?
A: No.

Q: What if I lost my hunter education certificate?
A: If the certificate is lost, a replacement certificate maybe obtained from any ELSI vendor during regular business hours for $4.50.

Q: What if I took hunter education in another state?
A: Iowa recognizes hunter education certificates issued by another state and some foreign nations.

Q: How can I help teach hunter education?
A: If you have already taken the hunter education course, you can go to a new instructor workshop and become a hunter education instructor. From there you can make contact with your chief instructor, local conservation officer, or recreation safety officer and either help with existing courses or start your own.