Learn to Hunt
Report Your Harvest
Current Fishing Report
Taking Kids Fishing
Iowa's natural resources plates include the state bird and flower, pheasant, eagle, buck and a Brook trout. Support conservation in Iowa by buying a natural resource plate for your vehicle.
Natural Resource Plates
Experience Iowa's natural beauty and all the fun our state parks offer. Make your online reservation for state park cabins, camping sites, shelters and lodges.
Support conservation in Iowa by buying a natural resource plate for your vehicle.
Natural Resource Plates
Iowa DNR Customer Service
Mon - Fri, 8:00am - 4:30pm CST
Submit Online Inquiry
Information / Records Requests
Contact Information by County
City Parks and Open Space (15% of REAP funds) - This money is available to cities through competitive grants. Three (3) city size categories and grant amount ceilings have been established to assure grants are distributed to all sizes of cities.
REAP funds (derived from gaming revenues) are appropriated by the Iowa Legislature and signed into law by the Governor. City Park and Open Space grant applications are due annually on August 15th at 4:30 pm. The application materials are available at the bottom of this page.
These grants are 100%, so local matching funds are not required. This grant program is very competitive. Funds are not available for single or multipurpose athletic fields, baseball or softball diamonds, tennis courts, golf courses, and other organized sport facilities. Swimming pools and playground equipment are also ineligible. Parkland expansion and multi-purpose recreation developments are typical projects funded under this REAP program. The DNR administers the city grant program. City officials representing the Iowa Park and Recreation Association and League of Cities select which projects receive funding.
Projects must be completed within two years of the grant award. 90% of funds can be requested at the time a grant agreement is signed and the remaining 10% will be awarded upon successful completion of the project.
2021 Update: REAP City Parks & Open Spaces Grants will be reviewed on October 5, 2021. Applicants will be notified of results upon approval by the Natural Resource Commission on November 10, 2021. If there are questions, please direct them to Michelle.Wilson@dnr.iowa.gov.
REAP City Grant Application - SlideRoom
For acquisition projects:
REAP Coordinator, Tammie Krausman and WRAC Coordinator, Michelle Wilson provide training on applying for grants using the SlideRoom application.
Michelle Wilson, REAP Coordinator
Iowa Department of Natural Resources
Wallace State Office BuildingDes Moines, IA 50319phone: 515-446-0535
Grant Application - SlideRoomApplication Training Video
2020 Census DataScoring Criteria for City Grants
REAP Administrative Rules
Open Spaces Plan
Recent City REAP Grants
State Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Plan (SCORP)
Wildlife Action Plan
The amount of REAP grant money available to a city depends on population. The population categories and respective grant amount ceilings are shown below:
FY 20 REAP City Grant Awards and Descriptions
To view the cities that have received REAP funding and learn about the type of projects in your area, click on a city below and then a dot to read the project description, sponsor, and funding received: