Take that long-needed break and go fishing with your family before the crazy back to school schedule starts.
Here’s our top picks for summer fishing getaways.
- Crawford Creek – stay in a lake cabin and enjoy a weekend of fishing for jumbo bluegill, large crappie and an occasional big perch (plus a solid largemouth population). Beach, hiking trails, picnic shelters and paddle boats.
- Lake Sugema Recreation Area – campground, playground and hiking trail, plus excellent largemouth, crappie and bluegill fishing. Cast for just about any species on the Des Moines River next to Lacey Keosaqua State Park. Stroll the rustic Villages of Van Buren County—a tourism destination.
- Volga Lake – surrounded by Volga River State Recreation Area with camping, hiking horse trail, and wildlife watching. Known for great panfish and bass, it hides an overlooked cache of catfish that routinely measure 23 inches.
- Wapsipinicon State Park – excellent river fishing plus caves, golf and unforgettable views. Famous for walleye, smallmouth and channel cat, especially below the dam near the park entrance. Camping, hiking trails, lodge rental and playground.
- Viking Lake State Park – activity loaded with lakeside camping, playground, beach, boat rental, restaurant and trails. Cast off jetties for 10-inch crappie in the spring. Catch bass up to 20 inches and 18- to 20-inch channel cat in summer.
Your Iowa fishing license is your all access pass to lots of great places to hook family memories. Buy your fishing license online today and download it right away, or visit your local license retailer.