Animal Feeding, Solid Waste and Water Projects on EPC's March 18 Agenda
Thursday, March 13, 2014 by Iowa DNR
DES MOINES – Solid waste projects, the state revolving fund plan, rulemaking for animal feeding operations and a project to improve Easter Lake in Des Moines are on the March 18 agenda for the state Environmental Protection Commission. Commissioners will meet at 10 a.m.at the DNR’s Air Quality office, 7900 Hickman Road in Windsor Heights.
Commissioners will be asked to approve opening public comment on proposed rules regarding concentrated animal feeding operations. The proposed rules would adopt federal discharge permit requirements for confinement operations and manure application setback requirements for all concentrated animal feeding operations that have federal discharge permits.
In other action, commissioners will be asked to approve a three-year contract with the city of Des Moines to reduce sediment entering Easter Lake from Yeader Creek. This is phase one in a project that aims to improve water clarity, reduce sediment and algal blooms in the lake, increase oxygen levels and improve the fishery.
The meeting is open to the public and public comments are scheduled for 10:30 a.m. At 1 p.m., commissioners will hear a referral to the attorney general on a wastewater issue in Scott County.
The complete agenda follows:
- Approval of Agenda
- Approval of Minutes
- Director’s Remarks
- Air Quality - Title V Fee Budget Review
- Contract - University of Iowa for State Hygienic Laboratory total maximum daily load (TMDL) contract
- Contract - City of Des Moines - Easter Lake Watershed Project Phase One
- Solid Waste Environmental Management System Program’s Grant Award Criteria Update
- Solid Waste Environmental Management Systems Program 2014 Participants
- Contract - City of Des Moines - Community Guide for Property Cleanup Following a Disaster
- Solid Waste Alternatives Program - Contract Recommendations
- Clean Water and Drinking Water State Revolving Loan Fund - FY 2014 Intended Use Plans - Fourth Quarter Updates
- Contract –University of Iowa State Hygienic Laboratory Small Watersheds
- Referrals to the Attorney General Peeters Development Co. Inc. dba Mt. Joy Mobile Home Park (Peeters)
- Contract with Surdex Corporation for LiDAR collection of 1,305 square miles in northeast Iowa
- Notice of Intended Action - Chapters 64 and 65 Amendments requiring concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs) to comply with national pollutant discharge elimination system (NPDES) permit requirements
- Monthly Reports
- General Discussion
- Items for Next Month’s Meeting
- April 15 - EPC Business Meeting, Windsor Heights
- May 19 - EPC Education Tour Hancock County
- May 20 - EPC Business Meeting, Hancock County
Find more information on the EPC agenda items:
The members of the commission are Mary Boote, Des Moines, chair; Max Smith, Knoxville, vice-chair; Nancy Couser, Nevada, secretary; Cindy Greiman, Garner; Chad Ingels, Randalia; Brent Rastetter, Ames; Bob Sinclair, Sigourney; Gene Ver Steeg, Inwood; LaQuanda Hoskins, LeClaire. The director of the DNR is Chuck Gipp.