DES MOINES – In a departure from the normal date, the Environmental Protection Commission will meet at 10 a.m. Monday, Sept. 18, in Room 103 of the Iowa State Capitol.
Commissioners moved the meeting to satisfy a 60-day deadline to respond to a rulemaking petition filed In July. At the top of the agenda, commissioners will hear a presentation from Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement and Food and Water Watch on the master matrix for animal confinements. Public comment on the petition will follow, with the DNR’s recommendation following public comments.
Send requests to speak during public participation to Jerah Sheets at DNR or Jerah.Sheets@dnr.iowa.gov or in person prior to the meeting.
After lunch, commissioners will hear public comments on remaining agenda topics and consider DNR’s request for next year’s budget. Several contracts and a final rule are also up for consideration.
At 2 p.m., the EPC has an appointment with Joel Thys of Belle Plaine and will consider a referral to the Attorney General for asbestos, open burning and solid waste violations.
The complete agenda follows: (see below)
- Approval of Agenda
- Chairperson Opening Remarks
- Approval of July & August Minutes
- ICCI Petition for Rulemaking Presentation – up to 15 minutes
- Public participation in favor of the petition – up to 30 minutes
- Public participation opposed of the petition – up to 30 minutes
- Public participation neutral on the petition – up to 15 minutes
- Department Recommendation for Petition for Rulemaking
- Lunch Break
- Monthly Reports
- Public Participation for remaining agenda items
- Director’s Remarks
- FY 19 Budget Request
- Contract with Pottawattamie County Planning Department
- Water Supply – Water Use & Allocation Annual Permit Fee
- Clean Water and Drinking Water State Revolving Loan Fund - Second Quarter Updates to FY2018 Intended Use Plans
- Contract with the United States Geological Survey
- Contract with the University of Iowa on behalf of the State Hygienic Laboratory
- Final Rule – Chapter 65 – Amendments for Animal Feeding Operations
- Referral to Attorney General – Joel Thys
- General Discussion
- Items for Next Month’s Meeting
- Tuesday, Oct. 17 – EPC Business Meeting – Altoona, Iowa
- Monday, Nov. 20 – EPC Educational Tour – SE Iowa
- Tuesday, Nov. – EPC Business Meeting – SE Iowa
The complete agenda and item briefs are available on the DNR website.
Commissioners include Chad Ingels, Randalia, chair; Ralph Lents, Menlo, vice chair; Joe Riding, Altoona, secretary; Mary Boote, Des Moines; Nancy Couser, Nevada; Howard Hill, Cambridge; Barbara Hovland, Mason City; Rebecca Guinn, Bettendorf; and Bob Sinclair, Sigourney. Chuck Gipp is the director of the DNR.