The Departments Floodplain and Dam Safety Section is responsible for administering the state’s flood plain and dam construction permitting program.  For construction along most of Iowa’s waterways, you are required to obtain a floodplain development permit.  Permits are also generally  required for dam construction.  

We’ve broken down more information about the permitting process below.  If you are ready to begin the screening and application process please go to our online screening and application tool, PERMT.