DES MOINES – June is always the contract meeting for the Environmental Protection Commission, and this year is no exception.
The June 16 meeting will be held by video conference at 10:30 a.m. To join by video, connect with https://meet.google.com/rqw-nksu-aak. To join by phone, call 405-701-9543, and enter the conference code of 871 528 followed by the pound (#) sign when prompted. The meeting is open to the public. There is no scheduled public participation. Written comments may be submitted up to one day before the meeting to Jerah Sheets at Jerah.Sheets@dnr.iowa.gov or to DNR, 502 E. Ninth St., Des Moines, IA 50319.
At the top of the meeting, Daniel Andersen, Ph.D., will highlight successes from the manure applicator certification program.
Then commissioners will be asked to approve nine contracts, as follows:
- Iowa State University for Manure applicator certification training.
- A grant amendment with Region XII Council of Governments and a contract with a program at University of Northern Iowa which aids in matching unwanted goods with new owners, annually diverting 100,000 pounds of materials from landfills.
- Iowa Air Emission Assistance Program at University of Northern Iowa to assist small businesses in understanding and complying with air quality requirements.
- Separate contracts with Linn County and Polk County Air Quality Divisions to decrease, control and prevent air pollution in Linn and Polk counties, fulfilling federal Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990.
- Three contracts with University of Iowa State Hygienic Laboratory for audits of analytical laboratories, and air and water quality monitoring.
- Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship to reduce sediment and phosphorus delivery to Easter Lake.
At 11 a.m. commissioners will hear a referral to the Attorney General of JDog Junk Removal and Hauling and owner Justin Pollard for solid waste disposal and open burning violations.
Also up for approval, the Intended Use Plan for the Clean Water and Drinking Water state revolving funds.
Find the complete agenda at https://www.iowadnr.gov/About-DNR/Boards-Commissions.
Commissioners include: Ralph Lents, Menlo, chair; Harold Hommes, Windsor Heights, vice chair; Bob Sinclair, Sigourney, Secretary; Stephanie Dykshorn, Ireton; Amy Echard, Farmersburg; Lisa Gochenour, Logan; Rebecca Guinn, Bettendorf; and Howard Hill, Cambridge. Kayla Lyon is the DNR director.
Any person attending the public meeting who has special requirements such as those related to mobility or hearing impairments should contact the DNR or ADA Coordinator at 515-725-8200, Relay Iowa TTY Service 800-735-7942, or Webmaster@dnr.iowa.gov, and advise of specific needs.