Current Requirements for Open Feedlots

Most open feedlots need some type of solids settling and need to apply manure in a way that will not pollute Iowa streams. Larger lots that have an animal unit capacity of more than 1,000 animal units may also need a national pollutant discharge elimination system (NPDES) permit. Some intermediate size lots may need an NPDES permit if a stream runs through the lot or there is a man-made conveyance for discharging to a stream.

Owners and operators of small livestock truck washing businesses must apply for a land application permit. Look for the Livestock Truck Wash Land Application Permit Application (DNR form 542-0157) and example permit. Find more information on the DNR’s National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits pages.