Learn about the DNR's COVID-19 response and how the current health emergency is impacting DNR facilities, services and events.
Current Requirements for Combined Operations with Open Lots and Confinements

NPDES Permits
Livestock producers who house animals both indoors and outdoors may need a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit by Dec. 31, 2008. Answering three questions should help producers decide if they need the permit:
  1. How many animals of the same type do I have (adding together animals of the same type kept indoors and outdoors)?
  2. Does my operation discharge runoff containing manure components or process wastewater?
  3. How close are the components of my operation?
Cow yard

The following fact sheets can help producers answer the three questions and determine if an NPDES permit is needed:

The DNR has updated several forms for livestock producers who need a permit for a combined operation. They include:

Owners and operators of small livestock truck washing businesses must apply for a land application permit. Look for the Livestock Truck Wash Land Application Permit Application (DNR form 542-0157) and example permit. Find more information on the DNR’s National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits pages.

Helpful Links: