All remaining State Forest Nursery seedlings are 30 percent off until May 26. Choose from a variety of hardwoods, shrubs and conifers. Some varieties have limited supplies.
Visit our online store at Nursery.IowaDNR.gov to see which seedlings are still available and place your order. Discount is applied on the checkout page.
Our online store closes for the season on May 26.
The State Forest Nursery in Ames was established by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s and has operated continuously ever since. All trees are grown from Iowa seed sources to harvest the bounty of native genetics that have thrived in our soils and weather against disease, insects, droughts and floods for many thousands of years.
The nursery is managed by a team of forestry professionals with a long history of helping Iowans with their tree planting needs.
Successful Tree Planting Tips
Before ordering, take time to plan.
- Select tree and shrub species that will do well on your site and meet your objectives.
- Plan the spacing and quantity of trees and shrubs you need.
- Consider existing ground cover and the steps needed to ensure your trees will not succumb to weeds. You may need to eliminate or reduce competing vegetation before planting.
- Think about what you will need to do to prepare the site.
- Determine if the site should be machine planted or hand planted.
- Decide if you can do the work yourself or if you need to hire a contractor.
- Plant trees as soon as they arrive.