DES MOINES — Contracts for watershed projects, Iowa Learning Farms and solid waste programs are up for the Iowa Environmental Protection Commission’s approval at the Dec. 17 meeting in Windsor Heights at the DNR Air Quality Building at 7900 Hickman Road.
A contract with the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship (IDALS) for Big Creek Lake Watershed Project II requests resources to complete Phase 1 of the Big Creek Lake Watershed Management Plan for bacteria reduction and aggressively address sediment and phosphorus loading to the lake in Project II. Funding will come from federal Section 319 grant dollars for nonpoint source pollution reduction. Implementation of best management practices are expected to reduce bacteria impairment and reduce sediment phosphorous loading by 30 percent.
Approval is also sought for a nine-month contract with the Rathbun Water Alliance to develop a nine-element interim watershed management plan. This will serve as a strategy for addressing non-point source pollution in the Rathbun watershed from 2014 to 2020. The interim plan will organize updated assessments and identify and prioritize agricultural nonpoint sources of water quality impairments in the watershed until the Rathbun Lake total maximum daily load project is completed and approved in 2018.
In other action, commissioners will be asked to approve a one-year contract with IDALS-DSC for Iowa Learning Farms to continue to educate people about soil and water quality improvement, manure and fertilizer nutrient management and general conservation information.
Additionally, the commission will be asked to approve Solid Waste Environmental Management Systems’ Grant Award recommendations. Eight applicants were selected to receive amounts above $25,000 and the DNR is required to obtain the EPC’s approval before entering into contracts with the awardees.
The meeting will begin at 10 a.m. Public comments are scheduled for 10:30 a.m.
The complete agenda follows:
- Approval of Agenda
- Approval of Minutes
- Director’s Remarks
- Clean Water and Drinking Water State Revolving Loan Fund — FY 2014 Intended Use Plans — Third Quarter Updates
- Contract – Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship — Big Creek Lake Watershed Project II
- Contract – Rathbun Water Alliance — Rathbun Lake Interim Watershed Management Plan
- Contract with IDALS Division of Soil Conservation for Iowa Learning Farms Project
- Contract with Iowa State University for “Water Rocks!,” Phase II, a Youth Water Quality Education Project
- Amendment of Contract with McFadden Environmental, Inc. for Risk-Based Corrected Action Review Assistance Project
- Contract — Keep Iowa Beautiful — Beautification Grant Program Amendment
- Solid Waste Environmental Management Systems’ Grant Award Recommendations
- Solid Waste Alternatives Program — Contract Recommendations
- Financial & Business Assistance Pollution Prevention Program
- Monthly Reports
- General Discussion
- EPC Annual Report
- Items for Next Month’s Meeting
- Jan. 21 – EPC Business Meeting, Windsor Heights
- Jan. 22 – NRC/EPC Joint Meeting, Des Moines
- Feb. 18 – EPC business Meeting, Windsor Heights
Find more information on the EPC agenda items:
The members of the commission are Mary Boote, Des Moines, chair; Max Smith, Knoxville, vice-chair; Nancy Couser, Nevada, secretary; Cindy Greiman, Garner; Chad Ingels, Randalia; Brent Rastetter, Ames; Bob Sinclair, Sigourney; Gene Ver Steeg, Inwood. The director of the DNR is Chuck Gipp.