SIOUX CITY – The state Environmental Protection Commission will tour two water treatment plants and attend a grand opening at its May 15 business meeting in the Sioux City Convention Center, 801 Fourth St.
The commission has a short business meeting starting at 10 a.m. dominated by contracts with the following groups:
- University of Iowa State Hygienic Lab to conduct laboratory tests on potentially contaminated samples collected during contaminated sites investigations by the DNR,
- County public health departments to complete inspections and provide technical assistance to public water supplies such as convenience stores, restaurants and motels, and
- Iowa State University Extension Service to provide manure applicator certification training.
In other business, commissioners will be asked to approve an air quality rule proposal that would adopt new federal air toxic standards and other federal standards that some industrial facilities must already comply with. The air toxic standards affect paint and allied products industries; and aluminum, copper and other nonferrous foundries.
Public comments are scheduled for 10:30 a.m. The meeting is open to the public.
Following the meeting, commissioners will tour the city wastewater and drinking water plants from 1 to 5 p.m. May 15, with a ribbon cutting and grand opening celebration at 3 p.m. at the Southbridge Regional Water Treatment Plant, 2500 225th St. Dinner with the Sioux City Chamber of Commerce will be at 6 p.m. at the convention center. The public is welcome to attend the tour and observe at the dinner.
On May 16, commissioners will meet at 8:30 a.m. in the Emergency Operations Center of the Security Institute, Western Iowa Tech Campus, 4647 Stone Avenue, for information and a tour of flood response in 2011. The tour is open to the public.
The complete agenda for the business meeting follows:
- Approval of Agenda
- Approval of Minutes
- Director’s Remarks
- Election of Officers
- Notice of Intended Action - Chapter 23: Air Quality Program Rules – Adoption of federal air toxics standards and new source performance standards
- Contract with Counties for TNC Sanitary Surveys and Visits
- Contract with University of Iowa State Hygienic Lab for Laboratory Services for Contaminated Sites Program
- Adopted and Filed: Rescission of Iowa Hazardous Waste rules. Chapters 140, 141, 148, 150 and 151.
- Contract with Iowa State University Extension Service for Manure Applicator Certification Training
- Monthly Reports
- General Discussion
- Items for Next Month’s Meeting
- June 19 – Windsor Heights
- uly 17 – Windsor Heights
Find more information on the EPC agenda items at
The members of the commission are: David Petty, Eldora, Chair; John Glenn, Centerville, Vice Chair; Mary Boote, Des Moines, Secretary; Dee Bruemmer, Davenport; Nancy Couser, Nevada; Marty Stimson, Cedar Rapids; Brent Rastetter, Ames; Cindy Greiman, Garner and Max Smith, Knoxville. The director of the DNR is Roger Lande.