DES MOINES — The Environmental Protection Commission (EPC) will be asked to approve several contracts during its Jan. 17 meeting in Windsor Heights, as well as receive a Notice of Intended Action for placing DNR compliance and enforcement options in the Iowa Administrative Code (IAC).
The Notice of Intended Action starts the rulemaking to formalize the variety of compliance and enforcement options the DNR may consider in responding to possible violations of environmental statutes and rules. This will promote collaboration with businesses and industries by ensuring rules and regulations are complied with in the least restrictive means possible.
Among the contracts requiring a decision is an educational project called “Water Rocks!” with the Iowa Water Center and Iowa Learning Farms at Iowa State University. The program’s purpose is to teach the importance of water resources and the interconnectedness of the natural world to students in kindergarten through college. Elements of the program include hands-on learning activities, a YouTube channel with music videos, multimedia web games and social media.
Two contracts are aimed at flood education. One is a contract with Iowa State University to create webinar modules, fulfill speaking engagements and develop a website pertaining to floods, the water systems of the earth and floodplain management. The second contract is with the Iowa Floodplain and Stormwater Management Association to develop specialized training on floodplain management principles, the National Flood Insurance Program and state floodplain requirements for local government officials and floodplain managers.
The meeting will begin at 10 a.m. at the DNR Air Quality Conference Room, 7900 Hickman Road. Public participation is scheduled for 10:30 a.m.
The complete agenda for the meeting follows:
- Approval of Agenda
- Approval of Minutes
- Director’s Remarks
- Contract with Iowa State University for a Water Quality Education Project
- Notice of Intended Action: Rescission of Iowa Hazardous Waste rules. Chapters 140, 141, 128, 150 and 151
- Notice of Intended Action: Chapter 61, Water Quality Standards, Section 401 Certification of Nationwide Permits
- Contract ― Iowa State University ― Flood Education
- Contract ― Iowa Floodplain & Stormwater Management Association ― Flood Education
- Contract Amendment ― USGS ― 11C4IA000000028 Joint Funding Agreement
- Introduction of Air Quality Small Business Assistance Liaison
- Notice of Intended Action: Chapter 9A: Environmental Services Division Rules ― Compliance and Enforcement Procedures
- Commission Annual Report
- Monthly Reports
- General Discussion
- Items for Next Month’s Meeting
Feb. 21 ― Windsor Heights
Mar. 20 ― Windsor Heights
Find more information on the EPC agenda items:
The members of the commission are: David Petty, Eldora, Chair; Lorna Puntillo, Sioux City, Vice Chair; Mary Boote, Des Moines, Secretary; Dee Bruemmer, Davenport; Nancy Couser, Nevada; John Glenn, Centerville; Dolores Mertz, Algona; Marty Stimson, Cedar Rapids; and Brent Rastetter, Ames. The director of the DNR is Roger Lande.