DES MOINES – Contracts for water, air and land quality are on the agenda for the Environmental Protection Commission (EPC) to approve at their June 17 meeting in Windsor Heights.
In the Black Hawk Lake watershed, a proposed contract would monitor water quality to determine if conservation practices installed by private landowners have effectively reduced sediment and nutrients in the stream leading to the lake. If approved, the water monitoring will document long-term water quality trends prior to, during and after conservation practices are put in place.
The meeting begins at 10 a.m. at the DNR Air Quality, Suite 1, 7900 Hickman Road, with public comment scheduled for 10:30 a.m. An appointment for the Executive Order 80 Stakeholder Group on the Jordan Aquifer is scheduled for 1 p.m. GIS Resources will host an educational presentation at 1:30 p.m.
The complete agenda follows:
- Approval of Agenda
- Approval of Minutes
- Director’s Remarks
- Contract with University of Iowa for Dam Safety Inspectors
- Contract – USGS Stream Gage Agreement
- University of Northern Iowa, Iowa Waste Reduction Center – Iowa Waste Exchange Program technical assistance, database management and training
- Region XII Council of Governments - Grant Awardee for delivery of the Iowa Waste Exchange program
- Solid Waste Alternatives Program – Contract Recommendations
- Clean Water and Drinking Water State Revolving Loan Fund – FY 2015 Intended Use Plans
- Contract – Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship – Union Grove Lake Watershed Project – Phase 1A Water Quality Improvement
- Contract with Iowa State University for National Water Quality Initiative Monitoring in the Black Hawk Lake Watershed
- Contract amendment with Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship – Division of Soil Conservation for Easter Lake Watershed Project Phase 1.
- Contract with University of Iowa for Laboratory Certification
- Contract with Windsor Solutions, Inc. for State and Local Emissions Inventory Systems (SLEIS)
- Contract with University of Iowa on behalf of the State Hygienic Laboratory for 2015 SHL Services in Support of the DNR Air Quality Bureau
- 2015 Contract with Linn County Air Quality Division: Air Pollution Control in Linn County
- 2015 Contract with Polk County Air Quality Division: Air Pollution Control in Polk County
- 2015 Contract University of Northern Iowa – Iowa Air Emissions Assistance Program (IAEAP): Small Business Assistance Program
- Executive Order 80 (EO 80) Stakeholder Group on Permits for Diversion, Storage, and Withdrawal of Water from the Cambrian-Ordovician (Jordan) Aquifer
- Monthly Reports
- General Discussion
- Items for Next Month’s Meeting
- July 14 – EPC Educational Tour, Scott County
- July 15 – EPC Business Meeting, Scott County
- Aug. 19 – EPC Business Meeting, Windsor Heights
Find more information on the EPC agenda items:
The members of the commission are Mary Boote, Des Moines, chair; Max Smith, Knoxville, vice-chair; Nancy Couser, Nevada, secretary; Cindy Greiman, Garner; Chad Ingels, Randalia; Brent Rastetter, Ames; Bob Sinclair, Sigourney; Gene Ver Steeg, Inwood; and LaQuanda Hoskins, LeClaire. The director of the DNR is Chuck Gipp.