WINDSOR HEIGHTS – Two presentations and many contracts are on the agenda for the March 19 meeting of the Environmental Protection Commission.
Commissioners will hear more about the Nutrient Reduction Strategy at 11:30 a.m.
At 2 p.m., Vince Evelsizer, DNR biologist, will summarize work on a study of drained, farmed wetlands. About 90 percent of Iowa’s wetlands fall into this category, but little is known about them. The DNR is looking at their chemical, hydrological and biological characteristics. Early study results indicate the biological importance of farmed wetlands depends on moisture levels in any year, especially for migrating waterfowl and shorebirds.
The meeting begins at 10 a.m. at the DNR’s air quality building, 7900 Hickman Road, Windsor Heights. Public participation opens at 10:30 a.m.
Also on the agenda is a 1 p.m. appointment for a referral to the Attorney General’s office.
The complete agenda follows:
- Approval of Agenda
- Approval of Minutes
- Director’s Remarks
- Clean Water and Drinking Water State Revolving Loan Fund – FY 2013 Intended Use Plans – Fourth Quarter Updates
- Solid Waste Environmental Management Systems Program 2013 Participants
- Solid Waste Alternatives Program – Contract Recommendations
- Air Quality - Title V Fee Budget Review
- Contracts with Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship - Division of Soil Conservation for Watershed Projects
- Contract with Iowa State University for Bird Assessment for Farmed Wetlands
- Contract with the University of Iowa for Wetland Monitoring Analytical Services
- Contract with the State Hygienic Laboratory at the University of Iowa for Rathbun Water Quality Monitoring
- Contract with the University of Iowa for Small Watershed Monitoring Support
- Contract with the University of Iowa for Shallow Lake Monitoring Support
- Referrals to the Attorney General
- Ramona, Larry and Thomas Gronbach (Irvington / Kossuth County) – Solid Waste / Air Quality
- Contract Amendment with the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship-Division of Soil Conservation for a Watershed Project
- Monthly Reports
- General Discussion
- Items for Next Month’s Meeting
- April 16, 2013 – Windsor Heights – EPC Business Meeting
- May 20, 2013 – Windsor Heights – New Commissioner Training
- May 21, 2013 – Windsor Heights – EPC Business Meeting
Find more information on the EPC agenda items at www.iowadnr.gov/InsideDNR/BoardsCommissions.aspx