State Interagency Group Holds Meeting on Missouri River Nov 14
DES MOINES – Flood recovery, appropriate prioritization of flood control in river management and water allocation are the top items on the agenda for the State Interagency Missouri River Authority’s Nov. 14 meeting in Council Bluffs.
The group will get an update on the continuing dry conditions, and in a related matter, will discuss two U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ reports. One report provides a five-year plan for managing surplus water in the Missouri River system of reservoirs. The other is a report on the corps’ start-up efforts to change the permanent allocation of Missouri River water for municipal and industrial use.
The Missouri River Authority is an interagency, interstate group that makes recommendations on policies affecting the Missouri River.
The group will meet from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Iowa School for the Deaf, Lied Multipurpose Complex, 3501 Harry Langdon Boulevard, Council Bluffs. The meeting is open to the public.
Also on the agenda are updates from the state hydrology work group, the sediment management meeting, the county official coalition and a committee working on the Missouri River Recovery. MidAmerican Energy will discuss its perspective on operation of the river.
The complete agenda is available below and on the state public meetings calendar:
- Welcome - Tom Hanafan, Mayor-Council Bluffs
- SIMRA Business – Sharon Tahtinen
- Approve Agenda
- Approve Summary from July 24, 2012, Meeting
- Briefing on Council Bluffs Recovery Efforts – Mayor Tom Hanafan
- State Hydrology Work Group Update – Tim Hall, Coordinator (via phone)
- MidAmerican Energy’s Perspectives on Operation of the Missouri River - Dave Ulozas, Vice President of Generation, MidAmerican Energy
- Army Corps of Engineers Discussion – Gwyn Jarrett, PM/Planner, Tiffany Vanosdall, PM/Planner
- Missouri River Mainstem Reservoirs Draft Surplus Water Reports
- Missouri River Municipal & Industrial Water Storage Reallocation Study
- Briefing on Sediment Management Meeting – Harold Hommes/Sharon Tahtinen
- Transportation Update - Troy Jerman. DOT District Engineer District 4 - Atlantic.
- Missouri River County Official Coalition Comments - Cara Marker-Morgan, Fremont County Supervisor
- Missouri River Recovery and Implementation Committee (MRRIC) update – Shawn Shouse, Agricultural Engineer - Iowa State University Extension
- Public Comment
- Next Meeting Date and Agenda Topics
Interested people can attend the meeting on a conference call by dialing 866-685-1580. Then they should follow the prompts, typing in the conference code of 4510673319 followed by the pound (#) sign.
The SIMRA includes representatives from the Governor's office, Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship, the Iowa Utilities Board, the Iowa Economic Development Authority, Iowa DNR and Iowa Department of Transportation.