DES MOINES – The upcoming work of the state hydrology work group will be the hot topic on the agenda for the State Interagency Missouri River Authority (SIMRA). The group will meet July 24 in Des Moines.
The Department of Natural Resources’ Tim Hall, recently chosen to coordinate hydrology efforts in Iowa, will discuss his efforts to assemble an interagency work group of hydrology experts. Hall thinks the group will eventually provide a clearinghouse for water information including everything from stream levels to precipitation records to water use data. Currently a county government, emergency response unit or recreational group might have to search many websites to find the information they need.
Hall will also briefly discuss the extremely dry conditions and the biweekly water summary update. He cites the update as an example of the kind of information the Hydrology Expertise Work Group can provide.
The Missouri River Authority is an interagency, interstate group that makes recommendations on policies affecting the Missouri River.
The group will meet from 9 to 10:30 a.m. in the third floor conference room of the Wallace State Office Building, 502 E. Ninth St. in Des Moines. The meeting is open to the public.
Also on the agenda are updates from the levee work group, floodplain management program, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and a committee working on the Missouri River Recovery.
The complete agenda is available below and on the state public meetings calendar at www.iowa.gov/state/main/pmc/pmc.php
- Welcome and Introductions – Bill Ehm
- Approve Agenda
- Approve Summary from April 27, 2012 Meeting
- State Hydrology Coordinator Update –Tim Hall, DNR
- Levee Work Group – Tom Oswald, Homeland Security Emergency Management Division
- Floodplain Management Program – Lori McDaniel, DNR
- COE Activities – Ryan Buckley, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - Omaha District
- Missouri River Recovery and Implementation Committee update – Shawn Shouse, Agricultural Engineer, Iowa State University Extension
- Public Comment
- Next Meeting Date and Agenda Topics
Interested people can attend the meeting on a conference call by dialing 866-685-1580. Then they should follow the prompts, typing in the conference code of 4510673319 followed by the pound (#) sign.
The SIMRA includes representatives from the Governor's office, Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship, the Iowa Utilities Board, the Iowa Economic Development Authority, Iowa DNR and Iowa Department of Transportation.