OHV (Off-highway Vehicle) Registration and DNR User Permits
Includes All-terrain Vehicles, Off-road Motorcycles, and Off-road Utility Vehicles
Recreational vehical owners and operators on public ice, designated public riding trails and areas, and DNR-designated OHV parks1, including use in conjunction with a disabled hunting permit, must register their machines with the Department. Machines registered in Iowa need only display their current registration decal and the operator must carry the registration certificate on board. Machines registered in another state are required to also display a valid DNR User Permit in addition to displaying their current registration decal and the operator must carry the registration certificate on board. Registrations and user permits must be renewed annually and are nontransferable. Both can be acquired starting September 1 each year and are valid for the remainder of the year plus the entire following calendar year.
All Iowa registrations and DNR User Permits expire December 31 each calendar year. A $5.00 penalty is added to the renewal cost for an expired Iowa registration. There is no grace period.
Residents can obtain registrations and renewals from a County Recorder Office. Nonresidents can obtain registration from their home state or an Iowa registration from the County Recorder Office in the County of primary use. DNR User Permits may be obtained at any license vendor (County Recorder Office or participating retailer) that sells hunting and fishing privileges.
Complete list of vendors and locations that sell Iowa hunting, fishing, and IDNR User Permits
(Please note: OHV registrations can only be purchased through county recorder offices. Only nonresident user permits can be purchased through general agents.)
1 ORV operation is limited. Please see ATV Park Rules and Locations page for areas where ORV use is allowed.
NEW DNR ONLINE LICENSE AND REGISTRATION SALES SITEIMPORTANT OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE INFORMATION
- Registration renewals for ATVs, ORVs, and ORMs may be renewed through the Iowa DNR Online License and Registration Sales Site.
- Registration and decal will be delivered via USPS mail delivery in 5 -- 10 business days.
- New registrations, transfers, and title/lien requests will stll need to be processed at your County Recorder's Office in your county of residence.
IMPORTANT USER PERMIT INFORMATION
- User pemits can be purchased through the Iowa DNR Online Licenses and Registration Sales Site. Permits purchased online will be delived via USPS mail in 5 -- 10 business days.
Registration of a New or Transfered Machine
Purchase from a Dealer: Dealers are required to collect the registration and title fees for a machine that is required to be registered.2 The dealer will issue to the purchaser a placard bearing the words "registration applied for" and space for the purchase date. The placard entitles the purchaser to operate the machine for 45 days immediately following the purchase while the registration is being processed.
Purchase by private sale: The purchaser of a machine with a valid registration may operate it for 30 days immediately following the purchase without having completed a transfer of registration. If the registration is expired, the machine must be registered prior to operating the machine in areas where a registration is required.
ALL MACHINES THAT ARE REGISTERED ARE REQUIRED TO BE TITLED. IF A LIEN IS PLACED ON A MACHINE, THAT MACHINE MUST BE TITLED. ONCE A MACHINE IS TITLED, IT IS ALWAYS TITLED.
Services Available at a County Recorder's Office
- All new registrations - $17.75
- Renewals - $17.75
- IDNR User Permits - $17.75
- Duplicate registrations - $7.75
- Titles - $11.50
- Liens - $ 11.50
Services Available at License Vendors
- IDNR User Permits - $17.50
2 Registration Exemptions
Registration is not required for the following machines:
- Owned by the United States, this state, or another state, or by a governmental subdivision thereof, and used for enforcement, search and rescue, or official research and studies, but not for recreational or commercial purposes.
- Used for agricultural purposes and/or solely on private property.
Registration Decals and IDNR User Permit Decals - Display
- ATVs - The decal shall be affixed to the rear of the ATV so that the decal is clearly visible.
- ORMs - The decal shall be affixed to the yoke of the steering column so that it is clearly visible without obstructing the vehicle identification number.
- ORVs - The decal shall be affixed to the rear of the vehicle so that the decal is clearly visible.
Application for Boats, Snowmobiles, ATVs and ORVs Application for Boats, Snowmobiles, ATVs and ORVs (Form #542-8067)
(Registration, Title, Lien, Subsequent Security, and Bonding)
Instructions for Bonding Boats, Snowmobile, ATVs and ORVsInstructions for Bonding Boats, Snowmobile, ATVs and ORVs
Affidavit for Unregistered or UntitledAffidavit for Unregistered or Untitled (Form #542-8074)
(All-Terrain Vehicles, Off Road Utility Vehicles, Snowmobiles or Vessels)
List of Iowa ATV DealersList of Iowa ATV Dealers
OHV Dealer, Manufacturer, or Distributor Application for Special Certificates