Iowa DNR's Twitter Iowa DNR's Flicker Iowa DNR's YouTube Iowa DNR's Pinterest Iowa DNR's Facebook | Iowa Outdoors Magazine | News | Contact Us

Site Search  search button

Ocheyedan Pit #1

General Information

County: Osceola
Location: 2 miles south of Ocheydan
Acres: 4.00
Maximum Depth:
Motoring Restrictions: Electric Motors Only

Amenities

Amenities at Ocheyedan Pit #1 include:
  • Picnic Area
  • Beach
  • Trails
  • Restrooms
  • Good/Excellent Shorefishing
  • Carry Down Boat Launch

Fishing Report

No recent updates

Fishing Forecast

Spring 2008 D.C.Electrofishing Assessment - An electrofishing assessment was conducted in June to assess the panfish population of Ocheyedan Pit #1 with emphasis on bluegill and largemouth bass. A largemouth bass catch rate of .9 fish per minute suggests good numbers of this species in Ocheyedan Pit #1. An electrofishing catch rate of 1 largemouth bass per minute > 8.0 inches would typically predict 20-largemouth bass /acre, the desired value for a healthily population. Stock (8.0 – 11.9 inches) and quality (12.0 – 14.9 inches) size fish comprised the sample at 14 (objective 8 – 12 fish per acre) and 4 (objective 4 – 6 fish per acre) fish per acre respectively, suggesting good numbers of these size groups in Ocheyedan Pit #1. Length frequency analysis indicates age II – IV largemouth bass present in various densities. Young of the year largemouth bass were stocked in the fall of 2007 and 2008 to supplement natural reproduction; however, the contribution to \year class formation of these stocking is unknown. RSD values indicate a fish population dominated by small fish. Stock (8.0 – 11.9 inches) size fish comprised 75% of the catch with quality (12.0 – 14.9 inches) size comprising the remaining 25% of the largemouth bass catch. Proportional stock density, a measure of the largemouth bass size structure is 25%, below the 40 – 60% target range; however, it is currently believed that the largemouth bass population is currently rebuilding in Ocheyedan Pit #1. Bluegills were also sampled during the 2008 spring electrofishing assessment. A PSD value of 20 is within the target range of 20 – 40, optimal for lakes and ponds where fishing for both bass and bluegill is important. Stock (3.0 – 5.9 inches) size fish comprised the remaining 80% of the catch suggesting excellent recruitment of the bluegill population of Ocheyedan Pit #1. Black crappie and yellow perch were detected in low numbers during the 2008 D.C. electrofishing assessment suggesting limited numbers of these species in Ocheyedan Pit #1. (2008)


Lake Maps

Download Printable Lake Map

You can zoom in on the map for bathymetric information for some lakes

Popular Fish Species at this Lake

Regulations

Fish Surveys

Lake Fish Survey Data Data from the most recent fisheries survey of this lake is provided on this external web site. This data may include information from various netting surveys and/or electroshocking surveys. Data includes numbers of fish sampled, and fish size ranges. Not all lakes are sampled every year.

Lake Mini-report

Lake Reports Summary report information about selected (~130) lakes regarding water quality, upstream land use, usage, economic value and more. Reports are customizable by the user to include only that information which the user desires to include.

Water Quality

Iowa-Caught Fish Are Safe to Eat, In Almost All Cases

The vast majority of Iowa’s streams, rivers and lakes offer safe and high-quality fish that pose little or no threat to human health if consumed. Some limitations may apply for young children and pregnant women. Here’s a Fish Consumption Fact Sheet from the Iowa DNR and the Iowa Dept. of Public Health for more information. Here is a list of current fish consumption advisories for Iowa lakes and rivers.

Return

Menu