Iowa DNR's Twitter Iowa DNR's Flicker Iowa DNR's YouTube Iowa DNR's Pinterest Iowa DNR's Facebook | Iowa Outdoors Magazine | News | Contact Us

Site Search  search button

Dog Creek (Lake)

General Information

County: O'Brien
Location: 2 miles east, 1/2 miles south of Sutherland
Acres: 28.00
Maximum Depth: 20 ft. (1972 - Maximum depth - 20 feet)
Motoring Restrictions: Electric Motors Only


Amenities at Dog Creek (Lake) include:
  • Boat Access
  • Picnic Area
  • Beach
  • Accessible Facilities
  • Camping
  • Good/Excellent Shorefishing
  • Hard Surface Boat Ramp

Fishing Report

No recent updates

Fishing Forecast

Spring 2011 Electrofishing Assessment – The 2011 spring D.C. electrofishing assessment was conducted 16 June at Dog Creek Lake with the last assessment done in 2004. Low numbers of largemouth bass (4) were sampled during the 2011 spring electrofishing survey; therefore, a general assessment of the largemouth bass population of Dog Creek Lake will be made. A catch rate of less than .1 fish per minute is considerably below the objective of 1 fish per minute, suggesting trace numbers of this species in Dog Creek Lake. An electrofishing catch rate of 1 largemouth bass per minute > 8.0 inches would typically predict 20-largemouth bass/acre, the desired value for a healthy and balanced population. No stock (8.0 – 11.9 inches) and quality (12.0 – 14.9 inches) size fish were sampled during the 2011 spring electrifishing assessment indicating very limited or no recruitment of the largemouth bass population of Dog Creek Lake. Only 4 preferred (> 15.0 inches) size fish were sampled during the 2011 spring electrofishing assessment indicating limited parent stock numbers in Dog Creek Lake. Bluegills were also sampled during the 2011 fall electrofishing assessment. A PSD value of 22 suggests a balanced fish population (target range, 20 – 40) comprised of quality (6.0 – 7.9 inches) sized fish in Dog Creek Lake. Stock (3.0 – 5.9 inches) size fish comprised the remaining 78 percent of the total bluegill catch. Relative weight, an indice used to indicate overall well being was 106 (target range 95 – 105) indicating excellent body condition of the bluegill population of Dog Creek Lake. Bullheads continue to be sampled in high numbers during the 2011 sprimg electrofishing assessment. A total of 111 fish were sampled during the 45 minute sample Bullhead length frequency analysis suggests the presence of several year classes in Dog Creek Lake. Stock (6.0 – 8.9 inches) size fish comprised 88 percent of the catch, suggesting excellent numbers and recruitment of the bullhead population of Dog Creek Lake. Quality (9.0 – 11.9 inches) size fish comprised the remaining 12 percent of the total bullhead sample. The large number of bullheads sampled may also be an indicator of a low largemouth bass population in Dog Creek Lake. Yellow perch (n = 18) yellow bullhead (n = 3) and green sunfish (n = 5) were also sampled during their 2011 spring electrofishing assessment. (2011)

Lake Maps

Download Printable Lake Map

You can zoom in on the map for bathymetric information for some lakes

Popular Fish Species at this Lake


Fish Surveys

Lake Fish Survey Data Data from the most recent fisheries survey of this lake is provided on this external web site. This data may include information from various netting surveys and/or electroshocking surveys. Data includes numbers of fish sampled, and fish size ranges. Not all lakes are sampled every year.

Lake Mini-report

Lake Reports Summary report information about selected (~130) lakes regarding water quality, upstream land use, usage, economic value and more. Reports are customizable by the user to include only that information which the user desires to include.

Water Quality

Iowa-Caught Fish Are Safe to Eat, In Almost All Cases

The vast majority of Iowa’s streams, rivers and lakes offer safe and high-quality fish that pose little or no threat to human health if consumed. Some limitations may apply for young children and pregnant women. Here’s a Fish Consumption Fact Sheet from the Iowa DNR and the Iowa Dept. of Public Health for more information. Here is a list of current fish consumption advisories for Iowa lakes and rivers.