Iowa's Drinking Water State Revolving Loan Fund

Earthwork on Treatment Plant AdditionJennifer Bunton, P. E., Senior Environmental Engineer
Telephone: 515-725-0298    


Iowa's drinking water state revolving fund (SRF) program makes loans to drinking water systems for design and construction to ensure public health protection the the provision of safe drinking water.  IDNR has established priorities for the SRF, and will publish them each year in its Intended Use Plan (IUP) (off-site).  The IUP includes the proposed uses of the moneys and describes how each project will be managed.

IDNR has prepared scoring criteria to address health risks, rule compliance, and infrastructure needs, including criteria for loan eligibility.  The criteria uses a point system based on health-based standards violations (MCL, MRDL, TT, and ALE), system vulnerability, infrastructure improvement needs, population, and design deficiencies.

The Water Supply Construction Manual outlines the process of receiving a water supply construction permit, with instructions for participating in the Drinking Water State Revolving Loan Fund.

Water Supply Construction Manual
Section *.doc *.pdf
Water Supply Construction Manual Water Supply Construction Manual, in doc format  Water Supply Construction Manual, in pdf format 
Water Supply Permitting Flow Charts  N/A Water Supply Permitting Flow Charts 
Exhibit 1: Planning and Design Loans  
Exhibit 2: PER Checklist Exhibit 2: PER Checklist, in doc format  Exhibit 2: PER Checklist, in pdf format
Exhibit 3: Intended Use Plan Application  
Exhibit 4: SRF Environmental Review Checklist    
Exhibit 5: SRF Environmental Review Public Notice Example  
Exhibit 6: SRF Environmental Review Public Hearing Checklist    
Exhibit 7: Instructions for Compliance with SRF Cross-Cutters-Bidding and Procurement Process, including Davis-Bacon and American Iron and Steel requirements  
Exhibit 7A: SRF Required Front-End Specifications, including Davis-Bacon and American Iron and Steel requirements  
Exhibit 8: DWSRF Extended Financing Worksheet  
Exhibit 9: SRF Bid Document Checklist  
Exhibit 10: SRF Construction Loan Fact Sheet    

The next step is for you to tell us about your drinking water system needs.  To be eligible for placement on IDNR's Priority List (off-site), a PWS must have a preliminary engineering study of potential system needs (e.g., a "planning" study), approved by the department, and submit a written application for placement on the Priority List.  The application must include:

  • a description of the type of project for which financial assistance is being requested,
  • the amount of financial assistance being requested, and
  • a proposed preliminary project construction schedule.

All applicants seeking money for project construction must include with their final application a completed Self-Assessment Manual for Iowa Water System Viability.

A breakdown of stages for the selected project must also be included with the submission, if the project will have sub-components.  Loans will be available to public and private community public water supply systems (CWS) whether they are "for profit" or "not for profit", nontransient noncommunity public water supply systems (NTNC) if they are either owned by a public entity or are "not for profit, " and transient noncommunity public water supply systems (TNC) if they are owned by government entities.