The Solid Waste Alternatives Program (SWAP) works to reduce the amount of solid waste generated and landfilled in Iowa. Through a competitive process, financial assistance is available for a variety of projects, including source reduction, recycling and education.
SWAP’s Online Database:
Visit the SWAP online database to search for information on past projects funded through SWAP. Follow the link and click “Search Projects” to get started!
The program provides financial assistance in the form of forgivable loans, zero interest loans, and 3 percent interest loans. A 25% minimum cash match is required. Projects are selected through a quarterly competitive process. Emphasis for selected projects is placed on tonnage avoided or reduced, sustainability and ability to replicate.
Any unit of local government, public or private group or individual is eligible to apply for program funds.
Funds can be used for such items as:
- Waste reduction equipment and installation
- Recycling, collection, processing, or hauling equipment (including installation)
- Development, printing and distribution of educational materials
- Planning and implementation of educational forums, workshops, etc.
- Purchase and installation of recycled content products
- Salaries directly related to implementation and operation of the project
Extra consideration is given to applications addressing large or hard-to-manage targeted waste streams. Click on the link below for the current SWAP targeted waste streams.
SWAP Application & Forms
- Project Request $20,000 or Less
- Project Request Greater than $20,000
Stakeholder Meeting - October 18, 2012