Quick and easy access to recreational privileges in Iowa, including hunting, fishing, and specialty licenses:
Purchase Your Licenses Online
Iowa's natural resources plates include the state bird and flower, pheasant, eagle, buck and a Brook trout. Support conservation in Iowa by buying a natural resource plate for your vehicle.
Natural Resource Plates
Experience Iowa's natural beauty and all the fun our state parks offer. Make your online reservation for state park cabins, camping sites, shelters and lodges.
Support conservation in Iowa by buying a natural resource plate for your vehicle.
Natural Resource Plates
Iowa DNR Customer Service
Mon - Fri, 8:00am - 4:30pm CST
Submit Online Inquiry
Information / Records Requests
Contact Information by County
Open Space (28% of REAP funds) - This money is allocated to DNR for state acquisition and development of lands and waters. The Natural Resource Commission has set a policy that half this money be directed to land acquisition and half to facility developments.
One-tenth of this 28% is set aside to cost-share land acquisitions with private organizations. The cost-share arrangement entails 75% of the acquisition costs coming from REAP and the other 25% coming from private contributions. This program provides an excellent opportunity for private conservation organizations to help provide outdoor recreation opportunities and protect critical habitat. The DNR owns and manages the property that is jointly purchased on behalf of the public. A project review committee made up of 3 DNR administrators and 3 representatives of private conservation organizations selects the projects.
Applications for these projects are accepted once a year on August 15th.
REAP Grant Applications will be submitted electronically. Simply email grant applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 15 at 4:30 P.M.
The Review and Selection Day will be in mid-September at the Wallace Building at 502 E. 9th Street, Des Moines, 50319. Please check in at the front desk. Applicants are highly encouraged to attend this meeting to answer any questions the selection committee may have.
Please use the following format:
One-twentieth of this 28% is available to the state's Protected Water Areas (PWA) program. This program is directed at acquiring land along designated rivers to maintain their scenic and natural qualities. Portions of the Boone, Little Sioux, Middle Raccoon, Upper Iowa, and Wapsipinicon Rivers are currently designated "protected water areas."
The Open Space component has an important requirement that is very popular among local officials. Property taxes on land purchased with REAP Open Space funds continue to be paid. In other words, the property remains on the tax roles and its acquisition by the state does not place financial burdens on local governments. The DNR pays these taxes with funds from the REAP Open Space account.
Iowa Department of Natural Resources
Wallace State Office Building, Des Moines, IA 50319