DES MOINES—The 0.04 inches of rain that fell statewide since September 20 was the lowest two-week rainfall amount in a year. The deficit in precipitation is now at nine inches statewide. Over 75 percent of the state is designated as exceptional or extreme drought. The remaining 25 percent is in severe drought.
In northwest Iowa water levels remain very low. Water and wastewater utilities are concerned about the increased number of water main and sewer main breaks that are occurring and what this may mean as we move into the winter months.
For a more thorough review of Iowa’s water resource trends Sept. 20 through Oct. 3, go to http://www.iowadnr.gov/watersummaryupdate
Beginning October 4, Water Summary Update will be published on the first Thursday of each month, unless conditions change significantly. Biweekly publication will resume in spring 2013.
The report is prepared by the technical staff from the Iowa DNR, the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship, and the USGS, in collaboration with the Iowa Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management Division.