Training, Assistance and Reduced Fees on EPC September Agenda
The Environmental Protection Commission (EPC) will consider educational programs, technical assistance and a fee reduction at the Sept. 18 meeting in Windsor Heights.
Commissioners will be asked to approve educational programs for community-based watershed planning and solid waste management. Also up for approval is a contract to provide technical assistance to community water systems enabling them to protect drinking water at its source, before it is treated.
The DNR is asking commissioners to approve a decreased annual fee of $66 per permit for Water Use permits. Any person or entity using 25,000 gallons of water in one day is required to have the permit. The DNR uses the fees to oversee the permit program and resolve water interference complaints. The fee is a decrease from $95 in state fiscal year 2012 and from $135 in the first two years of the program.
In other action, the DNR and Iowa Finance Authority are seeking a reduction in interest rates for state revolving loan fund programs for drinking water and wastewater infrastructure. Commissioners will also be asked to approve the quarterly intended use plans.
A ban on liquid manure application to soybeans, a nitrogen-fixing crop, will go into effect in May of 2013 if the EPC approves the ban at its October meeting. So far, the commission has received three research papers to review prior to making this decision. The ban would affect only confinement operations that have manure management plans or open feedlots that have national wastewater (NPDES) permits.
The meeting begins at 10 a.m. in the DNR’s air quality conference rooms, 7900 Hickman Road in Windsor Heights. Public participation is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. with an appointment at 1 p.m. An educational opportunity on air quality will precede the meeting, starting at 8:15 a.m.
The complete schedule is as follows:
- Approval of Agenda
- Approval of Minutes
- Director’s Remarks
- FY 14/15 Budget Request
- Contract: Source Water Protection Technical Assistance
- Contract with Iowa Stormwater Education Program for Building Local Capacity for Watershed Planning: Training Program for Local Decision Makers
- State of Iowa Public Drinking Water Program: 2011 Annual Compliance Report
- Water Supply: Water Use & Allocation Annual Permit Fee
- Contract: USGS Stream Gage Agreement
- Clean Water and Drinking Water State Revolving Loan Fund: FY 2013 Intended Use Plans Second Quarter Updates
- Solid Waste Alternatives Program: Contract Recommendations
- Contract with Sac County Conservation Board for establishment of conservation easement.
- Referral to the Attorney General
Bhupen Patel and Jai Santoshi Ma, Inc.
Williamsburg / Iowa County) – Air Quality (asbestos)
- Pending ban of liquid manure application to soybeans on May 14, 2013; EPC review of scientific evidence
- Contract with United States Geological Survey for FFY13 Cooperative Agreement
- Monthly Reports
- General Discussion
- Items for Next Month’s Meeting
Oct. 16 – Windsor Heights
Nov. 20 – Windsor Heights
Find more information on the EPC agenda items at www.iowadnr.gov/InsideDNR/BoardsCommissions.aspx.
The members of the commission are David Petty, Eldora, Chair; John Glenn, Centerville, Vice-Chair; Mary Boote, Des Moines, Secretary; Dee Bruemmer, Davenport; Nancy Couser, Nevada; Cindy Greiman, Garner; Brent Rastetter, Ames; Max Smith, Knoxville; and Marty Stimson, Cedar Rapids. The director of the DNR is Chuck Gipp.