Iowa DNR's Twitter Iowa DNR's Flicker Iowa DNR's YouTube Iowa DNR's Pinterest Iowa DNR's Facebook | Iowa Outdoors Magazine | News | Contact Us

Site Search  search button

Articles Detail

DNR Seeking Public Comments on Proposed Changes to Fishing Regulations
Posted: 07/17/2012
The Iowa Department of Natural Resources is considering possible changes to Iowa code for 2013.  Under consideration is the possibility of creating a license to fish for paddlefish on the Missouri River and Big Sioux River and for the DNR to set a quota for the number of licenses issued. The Missouri River has been closed to paddlefish harvest since 1986. Recent evaluations by the Department indicate that the population status is stable and could support limited harvest.

The Iowa DNR will be hosting a stakeholder meeting at 6:00 p.m., Monday, July 30th at the Sergeant Bluff Community Center, 903 Topaz Dr., Sergeant Bluff. The meeting will include a brief presentation on the current status of paddlefish; explain possible law and regulation changes needed to permit paddlefish fishing and to outline what restrictions may be placed on paddlefish harvest.  A question and comment period will follow the presentation. The comments received will assist the DNR in making a decision to pursue paddlefish fishing on the Missouri and Big Sioux rivers.  Persons may present their views either orally or in writing. Participants will be asked to give their names and addresses for the record and to confine their remarks to the subject of the amendments.  

Written comments can be sent to Martin Konrad, Iowa Department of Natural Resources Fisheries Bureau, Wallace State Office Building, 502 E. 9th St., Des Moines, IA 50319-0034, by email to or fax at 515-281-6794.

Persons who wish to convey their views orally should contact the Fisheries Bureau at 515-281-6976 or at the Bureau offices on the fourth floor of the Wallace State Office Building.

Any persons attending the stakeholder hearing who have special needs, such as those related to hearing or mobility impairments, should contact the Department of Natural Resources and advise of specific needs.