WINDSOR HEIGHTS – In a departure from the usual Tuesday meeting date, the Iowa Environmental Protection Commission will meet Monday, Oct. 14.
Commissioners will be asked to approve or deny a petition to adopt numeric water quality standards for 159 public lakes. The Iowa Environmental Council and the Environmental Law and Policy Center filed the petition for rulemaking on Aug. 20.
Presentations on the Iowa Nutrient Reduction Strategy and the petition for rulemaking are scheduled for the morning, starting at 11 a.m.
Also on the agenda, two counties have demanded hearings on proposed expansions of swine confinements after the DNR issued draft construction permits. Oral statements from Linn and Winneshiek counties and the confinements’ representatives are scheduled for 1 and 2 p.m. respectively.
In other action, commissioners will be asked to approve five contracts and two preliminary rule proposals.
The meeting will start at 10 a.m. at the DNR Air Quality Bureau, 7900 Hickman Road, Windsor Heights. Public participation is scheduled for 10:20 a.m. The meeting is open to the public.
The complete agenda follows:
- Approval of Agenda
- Approval of Minutes
- Director’s Remarks
- Contract – Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship – Silver Creek Water Quality Project Phase 1 Water Quality Improvement
- Contract – Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship – Easter Lake Watershed Project Phase One
- Contract Amendment with University of Iowa for Environmental Laboratory Certification
- Clean Water State Revolving Loan Fund – FY 2014 Intended Use Plans Second Quarter Update – Part 2: Sponsored Projects
- Contract with Iowa State University for Technical Assistance for Water Resource Restoration Projects
- Notice of Intended Action – Chapter 93 Nonpoint Source Pollution Control Set Aside Programs
- Notice of Intended Action – Chapter 64 Storm Water Notice of Intent
- Contract with University of Iowa
- Declaratory Order – Master Matrix Exemption by Matt Ditch (CP3 Farms, LLC Site)
- Demand for Hearing – Linn County; Matt Ditch (CP3 Farms, LLC Site)
- Demand for Hearing – Winneshiek County; Brad Herman (Millenium Agriculture LLC Site)
- Petition for Rulemaking
- EPC 2014 Schedule
- Monthly Reports
- General Discussion
- Items for Next Month’s Meeting
- Nov. 19 – EPC Business Meeting & Tour, Ankeny
- Dec. 17 – EPC Business Meeting, Windsor Heights
Find more information on the EPC agenda items:
The members of the commission are Mary Boote, Des Moines, chair; Max Smith, Knoxville, vice-chair; Nancy Couser, Nevada, secretary; Cindy Greiman, Garner; Chad Ingels, Randalia; Brent Rastetter, Ames; Bob Sinclair, Sigourney; Gene Ver Steeg, Inwood. The director of the DNR is Chuck Gipp.