WINDSOR HEIGHTS – The Environmental Protection Commission will consider a final rule affecting underground storage tanks and several contracts at the Dec. 18 meeting.
The meeting was originally scheduled as a phone conference, but will be held at 10 a.m. in the DNR’s Air Quality facilities, 7900 Hickman Road in Windsor Heights. Public participation is scheduled for 10:10 a.m.
The DNR is working with owners and operators of underground storage tanks to extend a Jan. 1, 2013 deadline to update their piping leak detection equipment. If approved, the emergency rule would allow an extra year to meet rule requirements for filling stations and other facilities that allow customers to purchase fuel when there are no attendants present. It would give the DNR time to research and evaluate options that may be more affordable and still protect against petroleum releases.
In other action, commissioners will be asked to amend a contract with Iowa State University to include providing historical aerial photos that can help DNR evaluate changes in the Iowa landscape. For example, the photos could be used to track changes in landscape features such as water, forests, grasslands, prairie potholes, floods or the use of conservation practices.
The complete agenda follows:
- Approval of Agenda
- Approval of Minutes
- Director’s Remarks
- Public Comments
- Clean Water and Drinking Water State Revolving Loan Fund – FY 2013 Intended Use Plans Third Quarter Updates
- Contract with IDALS Division of Soil Conservation for Iowa Learning Farms Project
- Solid Waste Alternatives Program – Contract Recommendations
- Amendment – ISU– Historic Aerial Photography Project
- Final Rule - Chapters 135, Technical Standards and Corrective Action Requirements for Owners and Operators of Underground Storage Tanks (piping leak detection at unstaffed facilities)
- General Discussion
- Items for Next Month’s Meeting
- January 15 – Wallace Building, Des Moines
- January 16 – Joint NRC/EPC Meeting – Wallace Building
- February 19 – Proposed Teleconference Meeting
Find more information on the EPC agenda items at www.iowadnr.gov/InsideDNR/BoardsCommissions.aspx
The members of the commission are David Petty, Eldora, Chair; John Glenn, Centerville, Vice-Chair; Mary Boote, Des Moines, Secretary; Dee Bruemmer, Davenport; Nancy Couser, Nevada; Cindy Greiman, Garner; Brent Rastetter, Ames; Max Smith, Knoxville; and Joanne Stockdale, Okoboji. The director of the DNR is Chuck Gipp.