The snowmobile education course is designed to teach students the principles of safe snowmobiling and how snowmobiling affects other people and the environment.
The following age restrictions apply to persons operating a snowmobile on public land, public ice, designated riding trails or designated riding areas in Iowa:
- Persons under the age of 12 must be accompanied on the same snowmobile by a responsible person of at least 18 years of age experienced in snowmobile operation who possesses a valid driver's license or an education certificate issued by or recognized by the DNR.
- Persons 12 to 15 must have a valid education certificate and be under the direct supervision of a parent, guardian, or another adult authorized by the parent or guardian who is experienced in snowmobile operation who possesses a valid driver's license or an education certificate issued by or recognized by the DNR.
- Persons 16 to 17 may operate unsupervised but must have a valid education certificate. Restrictions on operating a motor vehicle also apply to persons in this age group.
- Persons 18 and older may operate without an education certificate if their privilege to operate a motor vehicle has not been barred or revoked.
The focus of the DNR Snowmobile Education Program is to provide an education course that reduces the rate of accidents, injuries, property damage, and fatalities, while at the same time promoting the development of environmental stewards by educating our students about environmental concerns, energy conservation and proper maintenance of snowmobiles, and promoting the practice of only riding in legal areas and with landowner permission.
Students can attend an instructor-led class or take a certification course online. Students must complete a written exam with a minimum score of 80% to receive an education certificate.
- To find an Instructor-led course, .
- To register for the online certification course, please go to http://www.snowmobilecourse.com/usa/iowa/
For information about classes or the Snowmobile Education Program, please contact email@example.com