13th Annual Project AWARE July 11-16, 2015 Wapsipinicon River
Independence (Buchanan Co.) to Olin (Jones Co.)
The 2015 event was a 5-day, 5-night event rather than the traditional 7-day, 7-night event.
Thanks to all of the Project AWARE volunteers and sponsors for a successful 2015 event!
Total Trash Removed: 60,156 pounds (30.1 tons)
- River Miles: 63
- Participants: 433
- Sponsors: 89
- Daily Average Number of Participants: 225
- Trash Recycled: 91% (54,656 pounds; 27.3 tons)
- Number of Tires Removed: 677 (20,860 pounds; 10.43 tons)
- Scrap Metal: 29,120 pounds (14.56 tons)
- Recyclables: 4,476 pounds (2.24 tons)
- Household Hazardous Material: 200 pounds (0.1 tons)
- Trash not recycled: 5,500 pounds (2.75 tons)
Check out the Flickr Photo Album for Project AWARE 2015
In addition to Project AWARE, there was an opportunity to participate in two other river cleanups on the Wapsipinicon River the same week as Project AWARE. Find out more about these July events.
Project AWARE isn’t for the person who’s afraid to get a little dirt under his or her fingernails. While most of your time is spent in a canoe or kayak, you are still fully immersed in the wilderness and eventually you’re bound to get dirty. Prepare to find mud in awkward places and potentially stinky things in your canoe. Most people find this aspect appealing; remembering the days when they were just kids playing in the mud... Intrigued? Check out our Project AWARE: Frequently Asked Questions.
Project A.W.A.R.E. Objectives:
- Increase awareness about, and community involvement in, water quality issues that impact the health of Iowa's aquatic resources.
- Engage Iowa's citizen volunteers in a project that challenges them to become stewards of the river and produces a tangible, quantitative result.
- Demonstrate the commitment of Iowa's citizens by giving of themselves and their valuable time to make a difference - one stretch of river, one piece of trash at a time.
For More Information: Lynette Seigley (515)-310-0376 Lynette.Seigley@dnr.iowa.gov
"The Iowa Department of Natural Resources' Project AWARE is not related to nor affiliated with that of the Stichting Project AWARE’s name and website.”