Solid Waste EMS Advisory Council
February 19, 2014, 10:00 a.m.
Location: Iowa Economic Development Authority Building, Des Moines, IA
Meeting Materials: Agenda - see document library below. Subject to change
Future Meetings: TBD
As an outcome of the 2008 legislation, House File 2570 was signed into law. The legislation establishes a program and process that allows solid waste planning areas to be designated as environmental management systems (EMS).
A provision in the bill created a nine-member advisory council appointed by the director of the Department of Natural Resources. Council members represent various sizes of solid waste planning areas and other stakeholder groups as specified. They serve three year terms.
The Council Members are:
- Chair - Tom Hadden, Metro Waste Authority
- Vice-Chair - vacant,
- Anthony Colosimo, National Solid Waste Management Association - Iowa Chapter
- Bob Fagen, Northern Plains Regional Planning Area
- Bob George, Iowa Recycling Association
- Jody Gates, Ottumwa-Wapello Solid Waste Commission
- Julie Plummer, Iowa Waste Exchange
- Matt Rasmussen, Iowa Department of Economic Development - Recycle Iowa
- Mary Wittry, Iowa Society of Solid Waste Operations
- Jennifer Wright, Iowa Department of Natural Resources
The Council serves several functions.
- System Designation: Make recommendations to the Environmental Protection Commission (EPC) as to which solid waste comprehensive planning areas and permitted facility service areas applying for EMS designation should be selected.
- System Review: Council reviews Annual Reports and Audit Reports to ensure EMS participants remain in compliance with 455J.3 - that they have the six required components in place (Yard waste management, Hazardous household waste collection, Water quality improvement, Greenhouse gas reduction, Recycling services, Environmental education)
- Allocation of Funds: The council also approves EMS grant fund applications. EPC has ultimate approval for requests over $25,000. Council also oversees All other program expenditures for things like: group projects, consulting firm assistance for EMS training, workshops and software.
For more information regarding the State of Iowa’s current solid waste management policies and programs please see the Department’s white paper titled “Argument for Change, Vision for the Future”.
- <a $included="null" htmlelement="true" target="_blank" href="/InsideDNR/RegulatoryLand/SolidWaste/ComprehensivePlanning/SolidWasteEMS.aspx">Solid Waste EMS Information
- Solid Waste EMS Participant Information
- <a $included="null" htmlelement="true" target="_blank" href="/InsideDNR/RegulatoryLand/SolidWaste/ComprehensivePlanning/SolidWasteEMS/SWEMSWorkshops.aspx">Solid Waste EMS Workshop Information