Current Requirements for Open Feedlots

Most open feedlots need some type of solids settling and need to apply manure in a way that will not pollute Iowa streams. Larger lots that have an animal unit capacity of more than 1,000 animal units also need an operating permit or national pollutant discharge elimination system (NPDES) permit. Some intermediate size lots may need an NPDES permit if a stream runs through the lot or there is a man-made conveyance for discharging to a stream.

Owners and operators of small livestock truck washing businesses must apply for a land application permit. Look for the Livestock Truck Wash Land Application Permit Application (DNR form 542-0157) and example permit. Find more information on the DNR’s National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits pages.