A Watershed Management Plan is an important tool for any group looking to improve their local lake, river or stream.
Put simply, a Watershed Management Plan (WMP) identifies water quality problems in your watershed, proposes solutions, and creates a strategy for putting those solutions in action. Watershed Management Plans take a long-term, comprehensive approach, which has proven to be successful in a number of watersheds.
Like a road map directing you from the start to finish of your effort, it helps you create a strategic, targeted plan for making changes in your watershed. That's why having a completed WMP is a requirement for applying for DNR Watershed Implementation Grants, which give you funds, assistance and guidance for putting your plan in action.
The DNR can help you put together your own WMP through our Watershed Planning Grants.
Learn More about Watershed Management Plans
Detailed information on creating a WMP:
Approved Watershed Management Plans:
- Map of approved plans
- Williamson Pond - rural lake, southern Iowa
- Carter Lake - urban oxbow lake, western Iowa
- Dry Run Creek - rural and urban stream, northeast Iowa
- Lake Hendricks - rural lake, northeast Iowa
- Big Creek (rural lake, Upper Des Moines & Raccoon)
- Clear Lake (rural & urban glacial lake, northeast Iowa)
- Price Creek (rural stream, northeast Iowa)
- Duck Creek (urban and rural stream, southeast Iowa)
- Lake Geode (rural lake, southeast Iowa)
- Silver Lake (urban lake, western Iowa)
- Black Hawk Lake (rural & urban glacial lake, Upper Des Moines & Raccoon)
- Tete Des Morts (rural stream, northeast Iowa)
- Silver Creek (rural stream, eastern Iowa)
- Rathbun Lake (rural lake, southeast Iowa)
- Don Williams Lake (lake, central Iowa)
- Badger Creek Lake (lake, central Iowa)
- Lyons Creek (rural stream, central Iowa)
- Yellow River (rural stream, northeast Iowa)
- Union Grove Lake (lake, central Iowa)
- Storm Lake (lake, northwestern Iowa)
- Silver Creek (rural stream, north Iowa)
- Easter Lake (urban lake, central Iowa)
- Iowa Great Lakes (urban and rural lakes, northwest Iowa)
Basin Water Quality Plans
DNR Watershed Improvement Program Grants Coordinator