Pollution Prevention Services
For the past 20 years, hundreds of Iowa businesses, industries, institutions and governmental agencies have saved money, improved operational efficiency, and become environmental leaders by working with DNR's Pollution Prevention Services.
Our team of technical engineers provide no-cost, confidential, non-regulatory assistance to facility operators. Opportunities are identified that can improve your company or organization's bottom line while making positive environmental impacts.
What Does Pollution Prevention Services Offer?
Testimonials from our clients:
"The intern was able to guide the project in a direction that gave us answers and alternatives. We were shown options that could benefit our facility. The program is rewarding for us along with the students."
-Katherine Teeter, JBS
||Iowa Health System,
"It's a great program and gives companies the opportunity to focus on some important issues that are difficult to fit into current staff schedules."
-Diana Latch, Iowa Health System
"I would continue to support this program at our facility and would recommend it to other businesses in the area."
-Viral Varshney, Infastech™
- Consultation and assessments - After an initial consultation with our clients, our engineers offer focused or facility-wide assessments. Depending on your needs and goals, these assessments may include:
- Energy use, including compressor and HVAC efficiency and lighting effectiveness;
- Water use and wastewater generation and treatment needs;
- Solid and hazardous waste minimization.
- Pollution Prevention Intern Program - This program places top Iowa college students with businesses, institutions, and agencies interested in cost-effective ways to cut or eliminate waste from their operations. Since the program began in 2001, 214 interns have saved 140 companies more than 62.6 million dollars, with dramatic environmental results.
- Environmental Management System (EMS) assistance - An Environmental Management System (EMS) is a set of processes and procedures that can enable an organization to reduce its environmental impacts and increase its operating efficiency.
- Workshops, Conferences and Training
- Access to case studies, vendor lists, waste exchange services, current publications and reports, and many other resources.
Many of our clients have worked with Pollution Prevention Services on an ongoing basis for a number of years, seeking new pollution prevention opportunities. As your company's goals evolve, a continued partnership can ensure you are operating as efficiently and effectively as possible, keeping costs down and increasing your competitive edge.
- Your company is eligible to work with Pollution Prevention Services if:
- You are a business, industry, institution (e.g. hospital, school), or
governmental agency with 100 or more employees.
- You employ fewer than 100 people, but meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Toxic Release Inventory
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Large-Quantity Generator of hazardous waste
- Large Energy User (greater than $1 million in energy usage annually).
Publications & Reports
- Iowa Strategic Goals Program - The Iowa Strategic Goals Program is a voluntary program that encourages and assists metal finishing companies in exceeding environmental compliance limits.
- Stewardship Action Council (SAC) - SAC is a national nonprofit created from the desire of representatives of both the public and private sectors to foster cooperative partnerships that drive sustainable and socially responsible business practices that exceed normal compliance results