The DNR's Solid Waste and Financial & Business Assistance sections, within the Land Quality Bureau, is Iowa's core agency for assisting businesses and residences with waste management goals, while regulating solid waste facilities.
We assist Iowa citizens, businesses and communities create a cleaner environment and stronger economy through sustainable use of natural resources with effective waste management and pollution prevention activities.
- The Financial and Business Assistance (FABA) team at the DNR is equipped to work with clients to provide financial and technical assistance resulting in cost-effective improvements, opportunities for increased productivity and positive environmental impacts.
- The Solid Waste Alternatives Program (SWAP) works to reduce the amount of solid waste generated and landfilled in Iowa. Through a competitive process, financial assistance is available for a variety of projects, including source reduction, recycling and education.
- Pollution Prevention Services - A non-regulatory, confidential program designed especially for industries.
- Pollution Prevention Intern Program - A nationally recognized program that matches Iowa college students with companies to identify P2 strategies.
- Iowa Waste Exchange - One of the nation's premier materials exchange programs.
- Derelict Building Program - This program was established to provide small Iowa communities and rural counties financial assistance to address neglected structures in order to improve the appearance of their streets and revitalize local economies.
Regulated Facilities - State and federal environmental regulation and compliance assistance for permitted facilities.
Solid Waste and Financial & Business Assistance staff are here to provide the assistance you need to protect Iowa's environment and establish a strong economic future. Please contact us with any questions or ideas.
Land Quality Bureau Fact-sheet