Iowa DNR's Twitter Iowa DNR's Flicker Iowa DNR's YouTube Iowa DNR's Pinterest Iowa DNR's Facebook | Iowa Outdoors Magazine | News | Contact Us

Site Search  search button

Current Requirements for Confinements

For already existing confinement feeding operations, most requirements concern manure management and land application. Even small animal feeding operations (500 or less animal unit capacity) must at a minimum:

  • retain all manure on site between periods of land application,
  • observe land application separation distances,
  • report any manure releases and
  • correctly dispose of dead animals factsheet.


Larger confinement feeding operations (more than 500 animal unit capacity) must also have an approved manure management plan and use a certified manure applicator to apply manure.

For more information about required manure management and other requirements, see the manure management page.

Producers interested in stockpiling dry manure should see either of the following fact sheets:

Additional requirements may apply to confinement feeding operations as a condition of a construction permit, including land application restrictions required as part of the Master Matrix operational conditions.

For confinement feeding operations that plan to modify or expand an existing site, or build a new site, see the Construction Requirements to determine the specific regulations that apply.

Small Animal Truck Wash Facilities

Owners of small livestock truck washing businesses no longer need a permit for land application. However, wastewater must not cause runoff or water quality violations during land application. All equipment washed at the facility must be owned by the same person and the monthly average of wash water must average 2,000 gallons per day or less. Livestock truck washes that do not qualify as small, should contact Paul Petitti at the Spencer field office for permitting requirements. Facilities washing other types of trucks, in addition to livestock, must obtain a wastewater operation permit to land apply. Find instructions in the Land Application Manual.