DES MOINES — The Environmental Protection Commission (EPC) will be asked to approve several contracts during its Feb. 21 meeting in Windsor Heights, as well as receive a Notice of Intended Action for placing DNR compliance and enforcement options in the Iowa Administrative Code.
Among items requiring decision is a one-year service contract with the State Hygienic Laboratory at the University of Iowa to provide water quality monitoring data for eight impaired lakes and 29 streams.
Also pending decision is a contract aimed toward flood education. The project will provide educational programming for local officials and the public about floodplains, flood risks, and basic floodplain management principles.
The meeting will begin at 10 a.m. at the DNR Air Quality Conference Room, 7900 Hickman Road. Public participation is scheduled for 10:30 a.m.
The complete agenda for the meeting follows:
· Approval of Agenda
· Approval of Minutes
· Director’s Remarks
· Allamakee Soil and Water Conservation District to develop a Watershed Protection Plan
· State Hygienic Laboratory at the University of Iowa for Rathbun Water Quality Monitoring Program
· Iowa State University – Flood Education
· LUST Trust Fund Project – Barker, Lemar and Associates, Inc. and Seneca Companies, Inc.
· Derelict Building Grant Program – Grant Recommendations
· Chapter 111 “Solid Waste Environmental Management Systems’ Annual Reports”
· Chapter 69, “Private Sewage Disposal Systems” and Chapter 68, “Commercial Septic Tank Cleaners”
· 2011 Diesel Emissions Reduction Grant Program - Recommendations
· Chapter 9A: Environmental Services Division Rules – Compliance and Enforcement Procedures
· Chapters 20, 22 and 25: Air Quality Program Rules – Requirements for Stack Testing and Portable Plant Relocations
· Chapter 33: Air Quality Program Rules Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) for Fine Particulate Matter
· In the Matter of: Brush & Weed Control Specialists, Inc., and New Farmers Drainage District
· Bruce Click (Clay County) – Animal Feeding Operations
· Monthly Reports
· General Discussion
· Items for Next Month’s Meeting
o March 20, 2012 – Windsor Heights
o April 17, 2012 – Windsor Heights
Find more information on the EPC agenda items at
The members of the commission are: David Petty, Eldora, Chair; Lorna Puntillo, Sioux City, Vice Chair; Mary Boote, Des Moines, Secretary; Dee Bruemmer, Davenport; Nancy Couser, Nevada; John Glenn, Centerville; Dolores Mertz, Algona; Marty Stimson, Cedar Rapids; and Brent Rastetter, Ames. The director of the DNR is Roger Lande.