Online training for manure applicators, cleaning up abandoned buildings and water monitoring are on the May 20 agenda for the Environmental Protection Commission’s meeting in Winnebago County.
The business meeting will be held at Country Inn and Suites, 711 Diamond Jo Lane, Northwood, starting at 10 a.m. May 20. Public participation is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. A referral to the attorney general is scheduled for 1 p.m. The meeting is open to the public.
Up for approval are grants to 20 cities to address abandoned buildings, including help removing asbestos and recovering materials that can be recycled. Eligible cities must have populations of 5,000 or less.
Commissioners will be asked to approve a contract to develop online training materials for manure applicators.
In other action, three water monitoring contracts are up for commission approval to assess water quality in Iowa streams.
Preceding the meeting on May 19, commissioners will meet at Kuennen’s Quarry Park Shelter, 1555 450th St., Northwood, starting at 10:30 a.m. with lunch at 11:30 a.m. A driving tour of two natural lakes and a wastewater treatment facility follow lunch. Commissioners will eat dinner at Signatures Supper Club, 728 Central Avenue, Northwood. People planning to attend pre-meeting events should register with Jerah Sheets by May 16. Call 515-313-8909 or email Jerah.Sheets@dnr.iowa.gov.
The complete agenda is as follows:
• Approval of Agenda
• Approval of Minutes
• Director’s Remarks
• Election of Officer
• Derelict Building Grant Program – Grant Recommendations
• Contract with the University of Iowa on Behalf of the State Hygienic Laboratory for Ambient Stream Biological Monitoring and Laboratory Services
• Contract with the University of Iowa on behalf of the State Hygienic Laboratory for Ambient Stream Monitoring and Laboratory Services
• Contract with Quality Consulting Inc. for DNR Water Use Database Enhancements
• Final Rule, Chapter 61, Water Quality Standards, Section 401 Certification of Regional Permit 7
• Air Quality - Title V Fee Budget Review
• Contract with Iowa State University Extension and Outreach for Development and Testing online MAC Pilot Program
• Referral to the Attorney General – Jim Scallon
• Contract with the University of Iowa on behalf of the State Hygienic Laboratory for National Rivers and Streams Assessment Sampling Support
• Monthly Reports
• General Discussion
• Items for Next Month’s Meeting
o June 17 – EPC Business Meeting, Windsor Heights
o July 14 – EPC Educational Tour, Scott County
o July 15 – EPC Business Meeting, Scott County
Find more information on the EPC agenda items at www.iowadnr.gov/InsideDNR/BoardsCommissions.aspx.
The members of the commission are Mary Boote, Des Moines, chair; Max Smith, Knoxville, vice-chair; Nancy Couser, Nevada, secretary; Cindy Greiman, Garner; Chad Ingels, Randalia; Brent Rastetter, Ames; Bob Sinclair, Sigourney; Gene Ver Steeg, Inwood; and LaQuanda Hoskins, LeClaire. The director of the DNR is Chuck Gipp.
For more information contact Jerah Sheets at 515-313-8909 or Jerah.Sheets@dnr.iowa.gov.