The DNR will host six public hearings and is asking for public input on proposed rule changes regarding concentrated animal feeding operations.
The proposed changes are required by state law and would bring Iowa’s requirements for concentrated animal feeding operations into compliance with federal regulations. The changes would also satisfy the terms of a work plan the DNR and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency signed in September 2013.
The proposed rule changes would adopt federal regulations requiring confinements, or totally roofed, animal feeding operations that are concentrated animal feeding operations to comply with federal National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit requirements. The changes would also require animal feeding operations that have NPDES permits to comply with federal setback requirements for land application of manure.
Iowans can comment in person or in writing at any of the following meetings:
· May 6 at 6 p.m., Lime Creek Nature Center, 3501 Lime Creek Road, Mason City
· May 7 at 6 p.m., Clay County Administration Building, Boardroom, 300 W. Fourth St., Spencer
· May 8 at 6 p.m., Carroll County Courthouse, Meeting Room, 114 E. Sixth St., Carroll
· May 9 at 10 a.m., Wallace State Office Building, Fourth Floor Conference Room, 502 E. Ninth St., Des Moines
· May 12 at 6 p.m., Northeast Iowa Community College, Dairy Center, Room 115, 1527 Highway 150 S., Calmar
· May 13 at 6 p.m., Washington County Conservation Board, Education Center, Marr Park, 2943 Highway 92, Ainsworth.
Or, send written comments to Gene Tinker, Iowa DNR, Wallace State Office Building, 502 E Ninth St., Des Moines, IA 50319-0034, or fax to 515-281-8895, or email Gene.Tinker@dnr.iowa.gov. Comments must be received on or before May 13.
Find more information on EPA’s requirements on the AFO Rules page of the DNR website at www.iowadnr.gov/afo/ or at www.iowadnr.gov/Environment/LandStewardship/AnimalFeedingOperations/AFORulesRegulations.aspx
This announcement was made on the Iowa DNR Animal Feeding Operations Listserv. This is a subscription service targeted to those who own and/or operate animal feeding operations or those who are actively engaged in regulatory activities surrounding animal feeding operations. This listserv offers regulatory news, program updates and technical guidance.