More than $200,000 in grants is available to cost share land acquisitions with private organizations. Applications are available at www.iowareap.com
then click on REAP Grants in the left column.
Applications are due March 14th by 4:30 pm.
The cost-share arrangement entails 75 percent of the acquisition costs coming from Resource Enhancement and Protection (REAP) and the other 25 percent coming from private contributions. This program provides an excellent opportunity for conservation organizations to help provide additional outdoor recreation opportunities and protect critical habitat. The DNR owns and manages the property that is jointly purchased on behalf of the public.
A project review committee made up of three DNR administrators and three representatives of private conservation organizations selects the projects.
Recent projects include additions to Pine Lake State Park, Pictured Rocks Wildlife Management Area and the Loess Hills Wildlife Area.
REAP is funded from the state's Environment First Fund (Iowa gaming receipts) and from the sale of the natural resource license plate.