City Parks & Open Spaces

City Parks and Open Space (15% of REAP funds) - This money is available to cities through competitive grants. Three (3) city size categories and grant amount ceilings have been established to assure grants are distributed to all sizes of cities.

REAP funds are appropriated by the Iowa Legislature and signed into law by the Governor. City Park and Open Space grant applications are due annually on August 15th at 4:30 pm.  The application materials are available at the bottom of this page.

These grants are 100%, so local matching funds are not required. This grant program is very competitive. Funds are not available for single or multipurpose athletic fields, baseball or softball diamonds, tennis courts, golf courses, and other organized sport facilities. Swimming pools and playground equipment are also ineligible. Parkland expansion and multi-purpose recreation developments are typical projects funded under this REAP program. The DNR administers the city grant program. City officials representing the Iowa Park and Recreation Association and League of Cities select which projects receive funding.

Projects must be complete within two years of the grant award. 90% of funds can be requested at the time a grant agreement is signed and the remaining 10% will be awarded upon successful completion of the project.

The amount of REAP grant money available to a city depends on population. The population categories and respective grant amount ceilings are shown below:

Population
0 - 1,000
1,001 - 5,000
5,001 - 10,000
10,001 - 25,000
25,001 - 50,000
50,001 - 75,000
Over 75,000

Maximum
$ 50,000
$ 75,000
$100,000
$125,000
$150,000
$200,000
$300,000

 

 

 

 
 

 

 


 

Below is information on the Fiscal Year 2015 grant awards:

 Population   

 2014 (FY15)
Available Funding

Number of Funded Projects 

 Project Descriptions
0 - 2,000 $524,468 10 FY15 Small City Project Descriptions
 2,000-25,000  

$782,752

 

8

 FY15 Medium City Project Descriptions
 

Over 25,000

 

$1,086,517

 

 7

FY15 Large City Project Descriptions

 


To view the cities/counties that have received REAP funding and learn about the type of projects in your area, click on a county below and then a dot to read the project description, sponsor, and funding received:

Fiscal Year 2017 REAP City Grant applications were due on August 15, 2016.

The REAP City Grant Review Committee will meet on September 20th on the 4th floor or the Wallace Building at 502 E. 9th Street, Des Moines, 50319. Please check in at the front desk. Applicants are highly encouraged to attend this meeting to answer any questions the selection committee may have.

  • 9:30 AM: Large City Grant Review (Pop. 25,000+). Please check in the Wallace Building 4th Floor and go to the 4th Conference Room.  Once scoring is complete for each session, an announcement will be made in the 4 th Floor Break Room. Scores announced in 4th Floor Break Room ~30 minutes after session concludes.
  • 10:00 AM: Medium City Grant Review (Pop. 2000-24,999).
  • 10:45 AM: Small City Grant Review (Pop. under 2000).
    • Medium and Small Cities: Please check in the at the Wallace Building 4th Floor and wait in the 4th Floor Break Room if you arrive before your review session. You will be notified before your session begins so that you can enter the conference rooms. Once scoring is complete for each session, an announcement will be made in the 4th Floor Break Room. Your patience is appreciated. Free parking is available in the ramp west of the Wallace Building.
  • While applicants will be informed of the final grant scores at the conclusion of the review session, formal grant approval will not be made until the October 13th Natural Resource Commission Meeting. Do not publicize until final approval and do not expend funds until a final agreement has been signed with the department in November.    

       
      REAP Grant Applications are submitted electronically. Simply email grant applications to tammie.krausman@dnr.iowa.gov by August 15 at 4:30 P.M. Please use the following format:
  • Application should be saved as one complete file (including all appendices, maps, letters of support, etc.), saved as a pdf.
  • Grants should be formatted for easy printing and viewing. Check orientation of maps, budget sheets, etc. for ease of viewing and printing.
  • Please name the application: ApplicantName.Shortprojectname.FY17.pdf
  • Maximum file size is 20MB or 20,480KB. Compressed pdfs will be accepted. Files larger than 20MB will be rejected by the email system.

 

For acquisition projects: 

Contact:
Tammie Krausman
Iowa Department of Natural Resources
Wallace State Office Building, Des Moines, IA 50319
Phone: 515-725-8443
Email: Tammie.Krausman@dnr.iowa.gov